GOSPEL FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
PLAINSBORO, NEW JERSEY
Once a working potato farm, this adaptive re-use as a church sits in a rural landscape and expresses the historic and farm structure context. The heavy timber construction is highlighted by a roof monitor which captures natural light and fills the sanctuary. The ascending platform culminates in a baptismal pool. The church was constructed in phases and much of the work was performed by members of the congregation.
DENNIS KOWAL ARCHITECTS preserved the history of this barn while converting for use as a church sanctuary. The windowless barn interior was improved to function with natural light through the addition of a new copula and windows which adds a central focal point to the exterior. The photo at left shows the main foyer and new toilets. This space was once a machine shed.
Converting a series of 1850’s barns for use as a Gospel Fellowship Church included the creation of this church library and meeting room space. The transformation required analysis of the existing post and beam structure as well as extensive repairs to correct settlement and to replace decomposing members. New structural elements were designed to look like the original pieces. The heavy timber construction is highlighted by a roof monitor which captures natural light and fills the sanctuary.