EXTERIOR PRESERVATION & STRUCTURAL REPAIRS
CIRCA 1760-1770 STATE HISTORIC REGISTER
EWING TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY
The Hendrickson/Atchley farmhouse was built in as many as seven different phases of construction. The core section of the farmhouse is the oldest and was built sometime prior to 1777. The east wing of the house was then added in about 1850. This addition included a new primary staircase and therefore a stair in the core section was likely removed at this time as well. A one story addition to the west elevation of the house was evident in 1882 but was later changed to its current two-story configuration in the early 20th century. Evidence of a foundation was found to the west of the west end of this addition, though no record was found as to the structure that it once held. A vestibule was added to the north elevation at the corner adjacent to the west wing at an unknown date. A series of additions include the front porch and porte-cochere, and the rear porch and sunroom were added to the house sometime between 1950-1970.
The central core is a 2-1/2 story, gable-end structure. It features 2 rooms deep and 3 bays wide. The foundation is stone, and the walls are brick with large, hand-molded bricks laid in what appears to be a flemish bond pattern, although the visibility was obscured by layers of whitewash paint. The windows in this section are 6/6, double hung sash. The front door, with sidelights, is centrally placed, and sheltered by a latticed porch. The roof has a moderate pitch and has a standing seam, metal roof visible from the exterior, from the interior, wood shingles are visible. There is a single interior ridge.
The east block was designed in traditional Greek Revival/ Italianate-Style, appears to date to the 1850's. The east block is also a 2-1/2 story, 3 bay, side-gable structure. It has brick walls, laid in an American bond pattern with a stone foundation. The windows in this section are also 6/6, double hung wood sash. The roof is side-gabled, with a ridgeline slightly higher then that of the central core, and is sheathed with a standing seam metal roof. Similar to the central core, wood shingles were also found underneath the metal roof.
As part of a commercial redevelopment plan, Dennis Kowal Architects was retained to evaluate the structural and material conditions of the Exterior Farmstead house and prepare an Exterior Preservation Plan. The applicant intends to use the restored house for functions related to other uses in the office park such as a conference center. Based on extensive research on the properties history, it was decided to restore the Atchley Farmhouse to the time period of 1910. In so doing, non-historic portions of the building were removed. The areas included the rear porch and sunroom, front porch and port-cochere, and the lattice covered roof entry to the central core.